Patches of discolouration found on your skin are generally considered pigmentation. They’re mainly caused by high exposure to the sun and harmful UVA rays. UVA rays will stimulate production of melanin, which is what causes you to tan. The more melanin, the darker your skin looks. Pigmentation usually takes 1-2 decades to form, so prevention from a young age is crucial in stopping them from forming.
If you have pigmentation, determine which type you have by referring to these 7 most common types.Freckles
- Freckles are flat, tanned, and found in the size of matchstick heads.
- It is caused by uneven distribution of melanin; as a result freckles usually appear uniform in color.
- Freckles are genetic and usually occur during young age.
- Melasma is also known as the ‘mask of pregnancy,’ and commonly occurs to women during their reproduction period.
- It usually affects females because of the presence of female hormones such as estrogen, progesterone and melanocytes stimulating hormone.
- Only 1/20 men are affected.
- There are 3 types of melasma: epidermal, dermal and mixed.
- Age spots tend to develop after the age of 40, to which it indicates that the skin has entered its aging period.
- When skin ages and is further exposed to environmental damages, melanocytes consistently produce melanin to protect the skin.
Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH)
- PIH develops through inflamed wounds.
- When a wound causes skin inflammation, keratinocytes will produce melanin excessively resulting in skin discolouration on the wounded area.
- PIH’s condition may be aggravated by chemical peels, laser treatments and IPL.
- PAP develops from acne lesions that have healed.
- It is caused by the overproduction of melanin in reaction to inflammation on the affected area.
Sun Burn Pigmentation (Solar Lentigines) (SBP)
- SBP develops from the overexposure of sun or ultraviolet sources.
- SBP is found on areas of the skin that are more exposed to sun or UV damages.
- CRS develops from long period of exposure towards computer or mobile phone radiation.
- Computer and mobile produce static electricity and radiation that damages the skin.
There is a list of ways to remove your pigmentation, but if you would prefer to consult the experts, visit Shakura Pigmentation Beauty and see your dark spots lighten in just 1 session.